Chai is the authentic beverage of India, its something that you can have at any time of the year. Let it be summer or winter, autumn or monsoon. Every season has a relevant type of tea. In winter/rainy season you can have ginger or masala chai that will keep you away from the viral diseases. While in summer you can have iced tea or cardamom tea that makes your body cool down.
By the way, have you ever tried cardamom tea? It’s the most pleasant beverage to have during sunny days or when it’s drizzling outside. Thus Cardamom is known as the queen of the spices. It is one of the most widely used spices in India. The essence of ‘elaichi ki chai’ is something that I crush upon. It has a very mild fragrance but you can totally feel hypnotised by the aroma.
All you need to know about Cardamom
Cardamom is actually a seed that belongs to the plants of the ginger family. It actually originated in the Indian forests & can be found in Southern India. It is also grown in Guatemala which is the largest producer of cardamom. The Latin name of cardamom is Elettaria Cardamomum. Also known as Elaichi, Capalaga, True Cardamom, Green Cardamom, Ceylon Cardamom. The small green cardamoms are the costlier ones. They taste a little bit sweet with a minty twist. These cardamoms are mostly used in making tea It gives a unique taste to the tea like sweetness or minty refreshment. Other than that, cardamoms are mostly used in Indian and Eastern cuisine.
History of Cardamom
Cardamoms are one of the oldest spices & being used for decades. The ancient Sanskrit manuscripts has mentions of cardamom. In the 4th century BC, it was considered as a token of gift. The Greeks had already started to trade spice by the time. The Egyptians used it for medicinal purpose as well as in certain rituals. Also, cardamoms were considered as a mouth freshener back then & even today this trend is followed. In the 19th century, Britishers established cardamom as a secondary crop. Since then cardamom is of great interest for traders.
The green cardamoms or true cardamoms come from Elettaria cardamomum plant. It is a herbaceous, perennial plant in the ginger family. The flowers are white to lilac or pale violet & the fruit is a three-sided yellow-green pod-like structure. There are three varieties of green cardamom plants:
Benefits of cardamom tea
There are countless benefits of cardamom tea. We cannot mention each one of them so we did some research & came up with a set of some of the most important ones.
- Anti-inflammatory property: Cardamom has compounds that fight with inflammation. These compounds protect the body cells from getting damaged & stops inflammation.
- Improves heart health: Cardamom consists of antioxidants which help to reduce free radicals in our body. This, in turn, reduces the cholesterol in the blood vessels. So it protects you from cardiac attacks and other forms of heart diseases.
- Lowers blood pressure: Cardamom has diuretic properties, it will basically promote urination to remove the unused amount of water in our body, this in turn lowers the blood pressure.
- Treats bad breath: According to the ancient people, cardamom not only purifies our breath but improves our oral health too. Researchers have stated that cardamom helps to fight dental cavities.
- Weight loss: One of the common human tendency is to panic about their increasing weight. What if I say you that cardamom tea can help to reduce weight, Pleasing enough? However, this is still under research.
- Digestive aid: Cardamom tea helps in digesting the food at a faster rate. So it is always advisable to have a cup after meals. Also, it can help in cases of constipation & stomach aches.
- Healthy skin: The impure blood in our body can cause rashes, pigmentation, pimples, etc. Cardamom tea has nutrients that can remove the free radicals in our blood. This will make the blood oxygenated and pure enough to improve our skin health.
Basic cardamom tea recipe
- Take a kettle and place it on the stove at medium flame.
- Add 1 cup of water, 2 spoonfuls of sugar and 1 & 1/2 tablespoon tea leaves.
- Now set the flame a little bit high & stir it a little.
- Once the tea starts boiling, add 3 to 4 crushed cardamoms and 2 cups of milk.
- Keep the flame steady on medium.
- Wait for 7 to 8 mins the tea starts boiling again.
- Your tea is ready, serve it with some healthy snacks.
Facts about cardamom
- Cardamom is being used to cure cancer as it has abundance of antioxidants.
- Research says that cardamom might be helpful to cure diseases like Parkinson.
- It can be applied on the scalp to eradicate dandruff and improve the growth of hair.
“Be like Cardamom – Add taste to the tea of life!”
A note to our readers
With god’s grace & because of y’all Just Say Chai is on the ninth cloud. Our website has recently been mentioned in the Top 100 Tea Blogs! by Feedspot. The blogs are chosen by them based on the quality of the articles, frequency of uploading the articles & many other parameters. Also, Feedspot allows you to subscribe for the newsletters and stay updated about the website of your interest. It’s a great achievement for us and the first step to success. We are thankful to you all, keep supporting us always. We love our readers!
Just how cardamom brings sweetness to tea we intend to bring joy to our readers. We seek to enlighten the knowledge of our beloved readers. If y’all have any queries, suggestions or ideas then please write to us at email@example.com. We are here for you always, till then Just Say Chai!